A boyfriend can be friend, enemy, lover, companion, or the symbol of any of these things in the emotions.
If bodily harm is threatened from this person it would be best to take this as a literal, true, dream and act accordingly.... Encyclopedia of Dreams
If the former is the case, it may be obvious to you: recent encounters with your brother or sister, or some piece of news about him or her may be recognized as prompting the dream. Always be on the look-out, though, for those dreams where a brother or sister plavs a symbolic role. The dream source may choose its materials - its images - from your recent external experiences, but what those dream images represent is nearly always some part of yourself. So please read on.
(2) In early childhood a brother or sister is a natural object of jealousy and hatred. In the eyes of a small child the mother may seem to be favouring his or her sibling. When a second child is bom, the firstborn is especially likely to develop hostile feelings towards the new’ rival for mother’s attention and affection. Sometimes w’e carrv such jealous grievances (at an unconscious level) into adult life, w’here they continue to affect our behaviour and attitudes.
It is then imperative that w’e sort them out, face up to them, acknowledge them for w’hat they are, and so liberate ourselves from their damaging influence (see (3) below, second paragraph, on projections).
(3) An elder brother or sister (brother for a male dreamer, sister for a female dreamer) may represent your ‘other self (‘alter ego’), that side of your personality that has so far been neglected and undeveloped. Jung called it ‘the Shadow’’. We start adult life w’ith a self-image that is usually some sort of compromise between what w’e w’ant to be or do and w’hat parents or society at large seems to require of us.
If this self-image corresponds to our actual abilities, all may be well for a while; but a time mav come w hen wre need to give attention to other facets of our (potential) self. These other facets - our Shadow- - will show- themselves to us in dreams; and one form they take in dreams is that of an elder brother or sister.
People often project their shadow- on to a sibling of the same sex as themselves; and if it is not projected, it may express itself in all kinds of aw kward and embarrassing ways - astonishing rudeness, for example, or other antisocial behaviour. The contrast between your conscious ego and your alter ego mav be as startling as that between Jekvll and Hyde. Don’t be alarmed, though: remember alw-ays that your unconscious is vour ally - vour best friend - and even the most frightening or appalling things that reveal themselves in dreams as parts of vour unconscious are frightening or appalling, first, because of their unfamiliaritv and / or secondly, because, having been neglected and locked away in the dark, they tend to behave like a neglected child and mav become mutinous (on this phenomenon, see Demon). Pay proper attention and proper respect to them, and their threatening features will disappear; they will prove themselves valuable supplements to vour personal equipment for coping with life and achieving full satisfaction and wholeness. Introduce them into your consciousness, identify them and their needs, and give them a controlled and appropriate part to play in your waking life.
Incidentally, one test you can apply to check whether you have a neglected shadow-self is to ask yourself if there is some characteristic that you particularly dislike in other people (particularly your partner): a domineering tendency’, perhaps, or an over-liberal attitude, or whatever.
If there is (and of course you need a lot of honesty’ to admit this), then that characteristic is likely to belong to your shadow-self. We tend to project on to other people the dark, ‘nasty5 things that live in our own unconscious.
If something is going wrong in our life, we tend to put the blame on to other people, the government, or our parents; we look for some scapegoat to carry the blame. The blame, how ever, is ours, because we have not put our own house in order: we have not paid due attention to the demands of our unconscious and have not allowed our ‘other self proper scope for expression in our life.
(4) When a female dreams of a brother, or a male dreams of a sister, the brother / sister may represent w’hat Jung called the ‘soul-image’, w’hich is the masculine side of a woman’s personality (her animus) or the feminine side of a man’s personality (his anima). There would seem to be very basic differences between man and woman arising out of different biological functions (as well as less basic differences that owe their existence to social conditioning). There are w’hat have traditionally been called feminine qualities and capacities (such as gentleness, a caring disposition, creativeness, cooperativencss and relatedness, intuition) and, similarly, what have been called masculine qualities (such as aggressiveness and competitiveness, rationality’, and a tendency to analyse and look for differences). However, it is widclv accepted nowadays among psychotherapists that the male psyche also contains feminine qualities and the female psyche also contains masculine qualities, albeit often dormant and neglected, or repressed.
If you arc a man, do you admire the ‘masculine’ tv pc of woman? If vou do, vou may be in need of redressing the balance in vour psyche: vour feminine side
has possibly swamped your masculinity, and you now need to promote the latter. In your case, the anima will be rather masculine. This is just one instance of a general rule: the animus / anima will have the opposite characteristics to the conscious self-image.
Either male or female dreamers may find themselves in a dream in an heroic relationship to an anima / animus figure. A man may, in a dream, rescue a damsel in distress; a woman may waken a dead prince with a kiss. These should be seen as invitations to incorporate your anima / animus into vour conscious functioning, to rescue it from oblivion and neglect: to make Cinderella or the Frog-Prince your partner in life. Personal wholeness cannot be achieved without this. See also Cinderella, Frog, section (3), Marriage.
(5) A sister in a man’s dream or a brother in a woman’s dream may take the dreamer into some frightening abyss, to the bottom of the sea, or into a dark forest. This may represent the man’s anima or the woman’s animus leading the ego into the unconscious, to discover, for example, the deep emotional causes of a psychosomatic illness; the repressed rage that lies at the bottom of a chronic boredom; or the fount of energy or wisdom that can furnish a more fully satisfying existence. Literary and mythological representations of this can be found in the examples of Beatrice, who led Dante safely into hell and out again, and Ariadne, whose thread enabled Theseus to find his way out of the Cretan labyrinth after slaying the Minotaur. Both hell and labyrinths are symbols of the unconscious. See also Labyrinth, Monster, Underworld.
(6) Sometimes the anima / animus figure in a dream may appear in some way hostile or threatening. For example, in a man’s dream the anima may take the form of an enchantress, a femme fatale, seducing men into a lake or ocean. The watery depths may be seen as symbolizing the depths of the unconscious. The meaning of such a dream may be that the dreamer needs to explore his other - unconscious - self, despite (or, more accurately, because of) its frightening and threatening aspect. Water, however, is a symbol of the feminine, too. The meaning of the dream, therefore, might be that die dreamer is too heavily fixated on his mother and needs to liberate himself by asserting his masculinity and independence; in extreme cases the man might be in danger of being “possessed’ or ‘swallowed up’ by the feminine within his psyche. Such a dream may be, however, not a warning, but an invitation: the unconscious may be urging the man to get on better terms - equal terms - with the feminine side of his psyche. Give your anima / animus equality, and it will cease from its mutinous attempts to take over the whole of your psyche.
In the case of a woman, a dream may contain a male seducer: some Pied Piper animus figure. Again, the dreamer will have to decide whether such a dream is a warning or an invitation: a warning against being carried away by her masculinity (perhaps she has not resolved her early father fixation), or an invitation to discover and utilize her neglected masculinity. Commonsense and, above all, honesty should guide her to the correct understanding of the dream; and in any case, bear in mind what was said above about giving equality to the anima / animus.
(7) The unconscious compensates the conscious mind. It contains those qualities and capacities which the conscious mind lacks. In this sense it is the opposite of the conscious mind; hence its otherness, its alien appearance.
It follows, therefore, that the image that represents anima or animus in a dream may be the opposite of the psychological type to which the dreamer belongs. For example, if you are a woman of the intellectual type (i.e. if thinking is your strong point at the conscious level), your animus may be represented in dreams as a sentimental type (a romantic Don Juan, for instance).
If you are a sentimental woman (moved at the conscious level mainly by feelings - including moral feelings), your animus may show itself as a bearded professor or other intellectual figure.
If you are an intuitive woman (an artist, for instance), your animus mav take a muscular he-man form in dreams (the sensational type, functioning most strongly at the sensory level).
(8) If brother and sister appear together in a dream, this may symbolize either the tension of opposites, or the union of opposites. The opposites are the conscious and the unconscious contents of the psyche. Their union and interfusion are the means by which the self- the true self that is already within you but waits to be unfolded - is realized.
The appearance of this symbol will usually be an auspicious sign, meaning that, despite all appearances to the contrary, there is within you a latent and attainable order and harmony. But of course you - the conscious ego - must make that latent order real by paying loving attention to the needs of your unconscious opposite (like the prince who wakes the sleeping beauty with an embrace).... A Dictionary of Dream Symbols
If a woman dreams of a younger brother, it can express either her own or her brother’s rivalry or vulnerability, but if she dreams of an older brother, it might signify her extrovert self.
The sister in dreams usually represents the feeling, expressive side of your personality and you can make contact with that side of yourself by understanding your sister’s personality.
If a man dreams of older sisters, it can represent anxiety but also caring.
If the sister is younger, however, she can symbolize the vulnerable side of the male dreamer.
If a woman dreams of younger sisters, it can suggest rivalry, but if she dreams of older sisters, she may be concerned about her own practicality.... The Element Encyclopedia
The concept of friendship appearing in dreams clarifies how we relate to other people.... Dream Meanings of Versatile
It is very common to dream about our friends. These are individual that are emotionally valuable to us and we learn about ourselves through them. Dreams are very rarely prophetic, thus whether your dream was good or bad, don’t expect it to come true. This dream is more than likely attempting to bring up uncomfortable feelings that you have about yourself or others.
(Remember “uncomfortable” does not necessarily mean bad.) Dreams are created by our own thinking processes, our own thoughts (conscious or unconscious) create dreams, thus, the mind that created the dream also knows its meaning!!! See Also: People.... The Bedside Dream Dictionary
If they exhibit staunch friendship for you in your dream then all your current activities will be successes.
If you see them as sad or unhappy you will receive news of an illness.... Tryskelion Dream Interpretation
The relationships you have with those around you are important in learning about yourself, so look to the friends you dreamed about for signals of personality traits they have that you desire in yourself, and work on those things. Additionally, dreaming of friends sometimes foretells that you will hear happy news from them.
If you dream of seeing your friends saddened or troubled, in your dream, they are headed for distress in real life.
To see a friend in your dream who you no longer see in real life (the friendship is over or they moved away), means you wish for a time in your past when you had no responsibilities and things were much simpler and more carefree. You may be wanting to escape the the pressures and stresses of growing up. Or, it could be a signal that it’s time to start acting more mature.
If you dream of a friend dying, it means you have anxious feelings or insecurities about the friendship - you may worry that your friend is becoming distant from you or losing interest in the relationship.
If you dream of a friend that you don’t really have in real life, this person actually represents another side of you - the part that is usually repressed and hidden.
To dream about an ex-friend means you wish for a time in your past when things were easier. Or, it could be a signal that it’s time to start acting more mature. You may also be missing this friend. Or, it could be that somebody you have just met reminds you of your ex-friend in some way.... My Dream Interpretation
• Is there an imbalance between the quality of help you receive from your friends and the quality of help you give them in return?.
• Do you receive more than you give? What qualities do your friends have in the dream what would be helpful for you to adopt in your life?... The Premier in Dream Dictionary
Dreaming of distant friends is generally a forerunner of unexpected news, good or sad depending on whether or not they were in trouble in your dream.... The Complete Guide to Interpreting Your Dreams
If the friends are people you do not know, they may represent your inner wisdom or intuition; the character of the friends will tell you what aspect of yourself they display. In dreams, friends behaving inappropriately can also represent your shadow self—the aspect of your personality that you are denying or have rejected. By portraying your shadow aspect as a friend or group of friends, your dreaming mind may be urging you to integrate neglected parts of your personality and restore inner harmony. You may have a dream in which a group of friends or people you know behave like total strangers to you, despite your efforts to remind them that you know each other. Such dreams are symbols of low self-confidence, but they can also suggest that you are trying too hard to be popular or to make a friendship work, because the desire for friendship is one-sided: your own.... The Element Encyclopedia
(Also see Bond; Companionship; Fellowship; Kinship; Spiritual gathering)... Islamic Dream Interpretation
If his relationship with them was estranged, it will be re-established.... Islamic Dream Interpretation
If you dream that your sister has died: your life will take a turn for the worse. Saying goodbye to your sister: you will be on your own in the near future. Seeing a nun: you will receive help in a dire situation.
A woman dreaming about a nun: be more helpful to others. See Nun.
Depth Psychology: If you have a sister, the dream will reveal the real relationship you have with her. Sometimes the dream may refer to character traits that, while similar, do not quite match those of your sister. See Siblings.... Dreamers Dictionary
If you do not have a sister and dream that you have one, then it implies that you possess certain qualities that you have not discovered as of yet. Consider what the sister is saying and doing.... Dream Symbols and Analysis
If you don’t have a sister, then this dream reflects someone with whom you share a kinship, a sisterly bond where your secrets are safe and you feel nurtured.
For some a sister represents rivalry or competition. Consider the feeling tone.... Strangest Dream Explanations
If she is younger then she can epitomize the more vulnerable side of him. In a woman’s dream if the sister is younger, she can represent rivalry.
If older she stands for capability.... Dream Meanings of Versatile
If you two have different relationships with your parents, your dream may be calling attention to your feelings about that. Or, someone you just met could have qualities similar to your sister.
If you do not have a sister and dream that you have one, then it signifies some qualities that you need to find or develop within your own self. Pay attention to the actions and behavior of your dream sister, for they are your biggest clue about what those qualities might be.... My Dream Interpretation
For a man, it signifies emotional security, but for a woman, it portends domestic disagreements.
An objective dream of sibling unity between sisters is an indication of emotional stability.... The Complete Guide to Interpreting Your Dreams
This kind of dream can also acknowledge one’s close feelings with others who are like a sister.... Dream Symbols in The Dream Encyclopedia
If you are arguing with your sister-in-law, it may imply that you refuse to accept that you both have certain aspects or attributes in common.... Dream Symbols and Analysis
If you do not have step-brothers and step-sisters in waking life, this may indicate a lack of intimacy and connection in your current social circle. See also RELATIONSHIPS.... The Element Encyclopedia