General Meaning: A new direction in your life or one that has passed.
A gate, path, door or fence opening all speak of either a new direction in your life or one that has passed. I often see a door or gate in the spirit when I am releasing someone into something new in their lives.
• It often speaks of a new plan that the Lord has for them. Perhaps someone has been trusting the Lord for a new job or hoping to move house.
If I see an open door before them, it means that the way is clear before them.
If I see a closed door, it either means that we need to pray and open the door, or that something is blocking them.
The same refers to a path or to a gate.
• I might see a blockage in the road that needs removing, or the Lord could be saying “not now, I have put this blockage here for a reason”. Once again it takes a bit of discernment and a look at the person’s current condition. Let’s look at a few typical scenarios here: • Positive: I see a door, gate or a new path in the spirit most often when I am releasing an individual into their ministry or releasing them into something new. When I have imparted gifts or confirmed a calling in a person’s life, then the Lord often shows me a new door that he has for them. This door refers to a new plan, with a new set of circumstances.
• This often also involves closing off the doors to the past. At this point the Holy Spirit requires that they commit entirely to this new plan and allow Him to ‘burn their bridges’ of the past and close all past doors.
• Referring to a new direction for ministry: • 1. Corinthians 16:9 because a great door for effective work has opened to me, and there are many who oppose me.(NIV) • 2. Corinthians 2:12 Now when I went to Troas to preach the gospel of Christ and found that the Lord had opened a door for me,(NIV) • If you see a closed door, then the Lord means for you to open it in the spirit: • Revelation 3:81 know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut. I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name.(NIV)
Most negative doors I see in the spirit refer to an open door to the demonic realm. When I see an open door and darkness behind it, or a demon coming out of it, I know that a person has an ‘open door’ in their lives.
• In other words they have given the enemy license to mess in their lives because of personal sin, generational sin or sin by association. I do not close this door on the person’s behalf.
• It is vital to remember that you cannot forgive sins that are unto death. In other words, if the person in question opened the door, then it is up to them to repent and shut it.
• In a nutshell apply: James 4:7Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
• Submit to the Lord, confess your sin and then close that door and tell Satan to leave! • Speaking of walking a life of sin (thus giving the enemy license in your life) Proverbs 4:14 Enter not into the path of the wicked, and do not walk in the way of evil [men].
• In reference to giving license to the enemy: Ephesians 4:26 Be angry, but do not sin: do not let the sun set on your anger: 27 Neither give licence to the devil.
See also: Gate, Road.... The Way of Dreams and Visions