The search for what is “proper.” You are making demands.
A symbol of fair treatment for the self.
Call for help, or business problems. Points to career difficulties. Question of fairness, or the opposite of it, is being addressed. Points to powerlessness, or unused persuasive skills.... Little Giant Encyclopedia
If the former is the case, it may be obvious to you: recent encounters with your brother or sister, or some piece of news about him or her may be recognized as prompting the dream. Always be on the look-out, though, for those dreams where a brother or sister plavs a symbolic role. The dream source may choose its materials - its images - from your recent external experiences, but what those dream images represent is nearly always some part of yourself. So please read on.
(2) In early childhood a brother or sister is a natural object of jealousy and hatred. In the eyes of a small child the mother may seem to be favouring his or her sibling. When a second child is bom, the firstborn is especially likely to develop hostile feelings towards the new’ rival for mother’s attention and affection. Sometimes w’e carrv such jealous grievances (at an unconscious level) into adult life, w’here they continue to affect our behaviour and attitudes.
It is then imperative that w’e sort them out, face up to them, acknowledge them for w’hat they are, and so liberate ourselves from their damaging influence (see (3) below, second paragraph, on projections).
(3) An elder brother or sister (brother for a male dreamer, sister for a female dreamer) may represent your ‘other self (‘alter ego’), that side of your personality that has so far been neglected and undeveloped. Jung called it ‘the Shadow’’. We start adult life w’ith a self-image that is usually some sort of compromise between what w’e w’ant to be or do and w’hat parents or society at large seems to require of us.
If this self-image corresponds to our actual abilities, all may be well for a while; but a time mav come w hen wre need to give attention to other facets of our (potential) self. These other facets - our Shadow- - will show- themselves to us in dreams; and one form they take in dreams is that of an elder brother or sister.
People often project their shadow- on to a sibling of the same sex as themselves; and if it is not projected, it may express itself in all kinds of aw kward and embarrassing ways - astonishing rudeness, for example, or other antisocial behaviour. The contrast between your conscious ego and your alter ego mav be as startling as that between Jekvll and Hyde. Don’t be alarmed, though: remember alw-ays that your unconscious is vour ally - vour best friend - and even the most frightening or appalling things that reveal themselves in dreams as parts of vour unconscious are frightening or appalling, first, because of their unfamiliaritv and / or secondly, because, having been neglected and locked away in the dark, they tend to behave like a neglected child and mav become mutinous (on this phenomenon, see Demon). Pay proper attention and proper respect to them, and their threatening features will disappear; they will prove themselves valuable supplements to vour personal equipment for coping with life and achieving full satisfaction and wholeness. Introduce them into your consciousness, identify them and their needs, and give them a controlled and appropriate part to play in your waking life.
Incidentally, one test you can apply to check whether you have a neglected shadow-self is to ask yourself if there is some characteristic that you particularly dislike in other people (particularly your partner): a domineering tendency’, perhaps, or an over-liberal attitude, or whatever.
If there is (and of course you need a lot of honesty’ to admit this), then that characteristic is likely to belong to your shadow-self. We tend to project on to other people the dark, ‘nasty5 things that live in our own unconscious.
If something is going wrong in our life, we tend to put the blame on to other people, the government, or our parents; we look for some scapegoat to carry the blame. The blame, how ever, is ours, because we have not put our own house in order: we have not paid due attention to the demands of our unconscious and have not allowed our ‘other self proper scope for expression in our life.
(4) When a female dreams of a brother, or a male dreams of a sister, the brother / sister may represent w’hat Jung called the ‘soul-image’, w’hich is the masculine side of a woman’s personality (her animus) or the feminine side of a man’s personality (his anima). There would seem to be very basic differences between man and woman arising out of different biological functions (as well as less basic differences that owe their existence to social conditioning). There are w’hat have traditionally been called feminine qualities and capacities (such as gentleness, a caring disposition, creativeness, cooperativencss and relatedness, intuition) and, similarly, what have been called masculine qualities (such as aggressiveness and competitiveness, rationality’, and a tendency to analyse and look for differences). However, it is widclv accepted nowadays among psychotherapists that the male psyche also contains feminine qualities and the female psyche also contains masculine qualities, albeit often dormant and neglected, or repressed.
If you arc a man, do you admire the ‘masculine’ tv pc of woman? If vou do, vou may be in need of redressing the balance in vour psyche: vour feminine side
has possibly swamped your masculinity, and you now need to promote the latter. In your case, the anima will be rather masculine. This is just one instance of a general rule: the animus / anima will have the opposite characteristics to the conscious self-image.
Either male or female dreamers may find themselves in a dream in an heroic relationship to an anima / animus figure. A man may, in a dream, rescue a damsel in distress; a woman may waken a dead prince with a kiss. These should be seen as invitations to incorporate your anima / animus into vour conscious functioning, to rescue it from oblivion and neglect: to make Cinderella or the Frog-Prince your partner in life. Personal wholeness cannot be achieved without this. See also Cinderella, Frog, section (3), Marriage.
(5) A sister in a man’s dream or a brother in a woman’s dream may take the dreamer into some frightening abyss, to the bottom of the sea, or into a dark forest. This may represent the man’s anima or the woman’s animus leading the ego into the unconscious, to discover, for example, the deep emotional causes of a psychosomatic illness; the repressed rage that lies at the bottom of a chronic boredom; or the fount of energy or wisdom that can furnish a more fully satisfying existence. Literary and mythological representations of this can be found in the examples of Beatrice, who led Dante safely into hell and out again, and Ariadne, whose thread enabled Theseus to find his way out of the Cretan labyrinth after slaying the Minotaur. Both hell and labyrinths are symbols of the unconscious. See also Labyrinth, Monster, Underworld.
(6) Sometimes the anima / animus figure in a dream may appear in some way hostile or threatening. For example, in a man’s dream the anima may take the form of an enchantress, a femme fatale, seducing men into a lake or ocean. The watery depths may be seen as symbolizing the depths of the unconscious. The meaning of such a dream may be that the dreamer needs to explore his other - unconscious - self, despite (or, more accurately, because of) its frightening and threatening aspect. Water, however, is a symbol of the feminine, too. The meaning of the dream, therefore, might be that die dreamer is too heavily fixated on his mother and needs to liberate himself by asserting his masculinity and independence; in extreme cases the man might be in danger of being “possessed’ or ‘swallowed up’ by the feminine within his psyche. Such a dream may be, however, not a warning, but an invitation: the unconscious may be urging the man to get on better terms - equal terms - with the feminine side of his psyche. Give your anima / animus equality, and it will cease from its mutinous attempts to take over the whole of your psyche.
In the case of a woman, a dream may contain a male seducer: some Pied Piper animus figure. Again, the dreamer will have to decide whether such a dream is a warning or an invitation: a warning against being carried away by her masculinity (perhaps she has not resolved her early father fixation), or an invitation to discover and utilize her neglected masculinity. Commonsense and, above all, honesty should guide her to the correct understanding of the dream; and in any case, bear in mind what was said above about giving equality to the anima / animus.
(7) The unconscious compensates the conscious mind. It contains those qualities and capacities which the conscious mind lacks. In this sense it is the opposite of the conscious mind; hence its otherness, its alien appearance.
It follows, therefore, that the image that represents anima or animus in a dream may be the opposite of the psychological type to which the dreamer belongs. For example, if you are a woman of the intellectual type (i.e. if thinking is your strong point at the conscious level), your animus may be represented in dreams as a sentimental type (a romantic Don Juan, for instance).
If you are a sentimental woman (moved at the conscious level mainly by feelings - including moral feelings), your animus may show itself as a bearded professor or other intellectual figure.
If you are an intuitive woman (an artist, for instance), your animus mav take a muscular he-man form in dreams (the sensational type, functioning most strongly at the sensory level).
(8) If brother and sister appear together in a dream, this may symbolize either the tension of opposites, or the union of opposites. The opposites are the conscious and the unconscious contents of the psyche. Their union and interfusion are the means by which the self- the true self that is already within you but waits to be unfolded - is realized.
The appearance of this symbol will usually be an auspicious sign, meaning that, despite all appearances to the contrary, there is within you a latent and attainable order and harmony. But of course you - the conscious ego - must make that latent order real by paying loving attention to the needs of your unconscious opposite (like the prince who wakes the sleeping beauty with an embrace).... A Dictionary of Dream Symbols
If a woman dreams of a younger brother, it can express either her own or her brother’s rivalry or vulnerability, but if she dreams of an older brother, it might signify her extrovert self.
The sister in dreams usually represents the feeling, expressive side of your personality and you can make contact with that side of yourself by understanding your sister’s personality.
If a man dreams of older sisters, it can represent anxiety but also caring.
If the sister is younger, however, she can symbolize the vulnerable side of the male dreamer.
If a woman dreams of younger sisters, it can suggest rivalry, but if she dreams of older sisters, she may be concerned about her own practicality.... The Element Encyclopedia
However, the claw could just as easily be a “healthy” sign if you are very timid. It might, however, suggest that you need to control your greed instead of living it out.... Little Giant Encyclopedia
To see him well and cheerful, foretells pleasant family relations.... Ten Thousand Dream Interpretation
2. Positive events happening.
3. Pleasant family relations (if father-in-law is happy). ... New American Dream Dictionary
To dream of planting, sowing or sodding grass indicates that you’ll have to work very hard to attain your goals, while cutting or mowing grass implies attaining security but nothing much beyond that.... Dream Explanations of Astro Center
The dream may also be a hint to strictly adhere to the rules and be mindful of your actions.... Dream Symbols and Analysis
3. Fear of being dominated or manipulated by others.
4. Fear of not being able to please. ... New American Dream Dictionary
The dream may also be a pun on being more careful and playing by the rules. You can also apply this meaning to dreams about your current boyfriend or girlfriend’s parents.... My Dream Interpretation
(See Family Members.)... Complete Dictionary of Dreams
If dreams about in-laws or stepparents are negative, this typically suggests feelings of insecurity, rivalry and mistrust that naturally arise when a newcomer enters the family and exerts influence over you. However well-meaning their intentions, they will always feel like a threat to your individuality at the beginning. (Also see: Stepfather- Stepmother - Step children - Step-brothers and step-sisters.)... The Element Encyclopedia
To him that dreams of places of pleading, judges, attorneys, proctors, or other persons concerned in the law, it signifies trouble, anger, expense, and revealing of secrets. And if the sick man dreams be obtains his suit, he shall come to better estate; but if otherwise, he shall die. And if he which is at law dreams that he sits in the judged seat, he shall not be overthrown, but rather his adversary, A physician seen in a dream by him who is at law, signifies the same with attorneys and proctors.... The Complete Dream Book
The law in the guise of a policeman is an aspect of a higher authority there to give guidance.... Dream Meanings of Versatile
If you retained a lawyer in your dream, you are being warned against carelessness in money matters.
To dream of winning a lawsuit is an omen of contrary; you are likely to be on the losing side of a serious difference of opinion.
A dream of being sued is a warning against casual love affairs.
To dream of being a lawyer augurs unexpected good news.... The Complete Guide to Interpreting Your Dreams
If you know that the suit is dishonest on your part, you will seek to dispossess true owners for your own advancement.
If a young man is studying law, he will make rapid rise in any chosen profession.
For a woman to dream that she engages in a law suit, means she will be calumniated, and find enemies among friends. See Judge and Jury. ... Ten Thousand Dream Interpretation
If you find yourself bundled into prison in your dream, perhaps with the clang of heavy gates swinging shut in your ears, this may be drawing a parallel with your sense of confinement in waking life. So, if you have any kind of dream about prisons or being jailed, ask yourself who or what is restricting your freedom in waking life. Do you feel suffocated emotionally by your partner or parents, or do you feel trapped in a dead-end job? Or has your own shyness locked you into a self-made prison in the waking world?... The Element Encyclopedia
The opposite represents the unlawful.... Islamic Dream Interpretation
2. Concern for outward appearances.
3. Prosperity (if lawn is well kept). ... New American Dream Dictionary
If it is overgrown with weeds, a lawn in a dream may comment on a negativity that may repel others.
A lawn may represent the energy field that extends out from the body known as the aura.... Ariadne's Book of Dream
Depth Psychology: Usually, the lawn is a sign of erotic needs and the condition of the lawn is a metaphor for the state of the relationship with your partner. Is the lawn green? Is it neglected and overgrown? What does your relationship look like these days? See Grass, Meadow.... Dreamers Dictionary
If the lawn is well-groomed and clean cut, then you present yourself as a polished, upstanding individual.
If your lawn is unruly, and rough around the edges, then so is your -image. See Grass.... Strangest Dream Explanations
To dream of mowing or watering a lawn predicts a long happy life.... The Complete Guide to Interpreting Your Dreams
If it is a grass field, your purpose will have many chances to be reciprocated.... The Big Dictionary of Dreams
The state that a lawn is in is a reflection of these concepts at the time of the dream.
(See Grass.)... Complete Dictionary of Dreams
To join a merry party upon a lawn, denotes many secular amusements, and business engagements will be successfully carried on.
For a young woman to wait upon a green lawn for the coming of a friend or lover, denotes that her most ardent wishes concerning wealth and marriage will be gratified.
If the grass be dead and the lawn marshy, quarrels and separation may be expected.
To see serpents crawling in the grass before you, betrayal and cruel insinuations will fill you with despair. ... Ten Thousand Dream Interpretation
If the lawn is brown, weedy and ill-kept, the reverse may be expected.... The Complete Dream Book
2. One’s honesty or integrity is called into question.
3. Use cau tion in love affairs; keep a serious attitude. ... New American Dream Dictionary
2. Guilt over past misdeeds, indiscretions.
3. Possible brush with the law. ... New American Dream Dictionary
If you dream that you are a lawyer, this is an omen that you will rise to prestige in your chosen profession.... Tryskelion Dream Interpretation
If the lawyer is wearing a black robe: the chances for a change in your present situation are slim. See Notary Public.... Dreamers Dictionary
It is about time to let go of pride and approach the people who are in a good position to help in your current problem.... Dream Symbols and Analysis
If you dream that you are a lawyer, this is an omen that you will rise to prestige in your chosen profession.... Encyclopedia of Dreams
that you do not foresee clearly.
It is a matter, therefore, of reconsidering your plans and the way you implement them.
If the lawyer happily solves the problems there are great possibilities of finding help in order to achieve your goals.... The Big Dictionary of Dreams
If his relationship with them was estranged, it will be re-established.... Islamic Dream Interpretation
To dream that you are in a dispute with your mother-in-law means that arrogant and insensitive persons around you will cause you severe disappointment.... Dream Symbols and Analysis
For a woman to dispute with her mother-in-law, she will find that quarrelsome and unfeeling people will give her annoyance. ... Ten Thousand Dream Interpretation
The dream is a warning against losing your temper.... The Complete Dream Book
An old interpretation of a wife arguing with her mother-in-law indicates that the wife is annoyed with many other people too.... Psycho Dream Interpretation
To be shooting the outlaw is attempting to control our wilder urges.
2- Psychologically; we all have a part in us that is anarchical or wishes to rebel. Occasionally this can appear as a person of the opposite sex. in which case we are dealing with the Anima/Animus (see Introduction).
If however, the outlaw is of the same sex as the dreamer, then we are dealing with the Shadow (see Introduction).
3- To put ourselves beyond the reach of spiritual law, wide- ranging though it may be, is to play a dangerous game which may- have to be paid for in various ways in the future.... Ten Thousand Dream Dictionary
To dream that you are threatened by an outlaw indicates that you are afraid of an improper desire’s power over you.... Dream Symbols and Analysis
“Allâhümme salli salâten kâmileten ve sellim selâmen tâmmen alâ Seyyidinâ Muhammedinillezî tenhallü bihil ukadü ve tenfericu bihil-kürebü ve tukdâ bihil-havâicu ve tünâlü bihir-reğâibü ve hüsnül-havâtimi ve yustaskal ğamâmu bivechihil Kerîm ve alâ âlihî ve sahbihi fî külli lemhatin ve nefesin bi adedi külli ma’lûmin lek”... Islamic Dream Interpretation
2. Someone to call on for special help. ... New American Dream Dictionary
If you dream that your sister has died: your life will take a turn for the worse. Saying goodbye to your sister: you will be on your own in the near future. Seeing a nun: you will receive help in a dire situation.
A woman dreaming about a nun: be more helpful to others. See Nun.
Depth Psychology: If you have a sister, the dream will reveal the real relationship you have with her. Sometimes the dream may refer to character traits that, while similar, do not quite match those of your sister. See Siblings.... Dreamers Dictionary
If you do not have a sister and dream that you have one, then it implies that you possess certain qualities that you have not discovered as of yet. Consider what the sister is saying and doing.... Dream Symbols and Analysis
If you don’t have a sister, then this dream reflects someone with whom you share a kinship, a sisterly bond where your secrets are safe and you feel nurtured.
For some a sister represents rivalry or competition. Consider the feeling tone.... Strangest Dream Explanations
If she is younger then she can epitomize the more vulnerable side of him. In a woman’s dream if the sister is younger, she can represent rivalry.
If older she stands for capability.... Dream Meanings of Versatile
If you two have different relationships with your parents, your dream may be calling attention to your feelings about that. Or, someone you just met could have qualities similar to your sister.
If you do not have a sister and dream that you have one, then it signifies some qualities that you need to find or develop within your own self. Pay attention to the actions and behavior of your dream sister, for they are your biggest clue about what those qualities might be.... My Dream Interpretation
For a man, it signifies emotional security, but for a woman, it portends domestic disagreements.
An objective dream of sibling unity between sisters is an indication of emotional stability.... The Complete Guide to Interpreting Your Dreams
This kind of dream can also acknowledge one’s close feelings with others who are like a sister.... Dream Symbols in The Dream Encyclopedia
The feminine side of the dreamer, the emotional side. According to Steckel and Freud, breasts.... Little Giant Encyclopedia
If you are arguing with your sister-in-law, it may imply that you refuse to accept that you both have certain aspects or attributes in common.... Dream Symbols and Analysis
If you do not have step-brothers and step-sisters in waking life, this may indicate a lack of intimacy and connection in your current social circle. See also RELATIONSHIPS.... The Element Encyclopedia
If you were part of a jury in your dream, you may feel that you are part of a collective judgment in waking life or that you have joined in with others in judging someone else.
If you were locked in a cell by a jailer you recognize, consider whether or not that person is restricting your freedom in waking life.
If the jailer is unknown, what part of yourself are you locking away? If you are a jailer or prison officer, who did you arrest and who did they represent? If the person was unknown, could you be acting as your own jailer and restricting your personal growth with fears and inhibitions? If, in your dream, you are playing a game and the umpire or referee makes what you feel is an unfair decision, this may concern someone who has authority over you in real life whom you feel is not treating you fairly. If, however, you are the umpire or the referee and are struggling to impose your authority, this may mirror your struggle in waking life to keep peace between warring aspects within yourself, or a group of people with whom you are living or working.... The Element Encyclopedia
The opposite represents the lawful.... Islamic Dream Interpretation