2. The ability to exterminate insects indicates the ability to clear away problems. ... New American Dream Dictionary
A fly, for instance, may comment on negative thinking. And a gnat may mention that the fruits of your labors arc ripe for the marketplace.... Ariadne's Book of Dream
If you are a person who likes to work alone, your dream may be urging you to ask for help. On the negative side, insects can represent people, situations or behavior that irritate you. You need to stop trying to brush things aside and deal with whatever it is that is bothering you.
To dream of a solitary insect may be a message from your inner self. That your inner self should employ such an unlikely ambassador is a reflection of your (very unwise) contempt for your inner self, as shown perhaps in the way you exclude it from your conscious life. (Remember the cricket in Pinocchio’s adventures?) A solitary insect may also imply something or someone that is‘bugging’ or even threatening you. It might also suggest you are feeling insignificant, like an ant in the mass of other ants. More positively, a solitary insect can appear in dreams as a reminder of instinctive behavior.
If you are stung by an insect or insects in your dream, this suggests anxiety and grief caused by your own obstinacy; the dream is trying to prick you into taking positive action. The sting may also be an emotional one. Someone may have hurt you or gossip may have stung you. Have you been stung or hurt by someone’s criticism, or was the dream referring to a sting or swindle someone is about to perpetrate in waking life?... The Element Encyclopedia
(1) If seen as mindless automata, insects may symbolize either (your attitude towards) your instinctive drives or unconscious forces that seem to constitute a threat to the rule of reason. In either case, you probably need to overcome - or at least examine - your repulsion.
(2) If it is a solitary insect, it may be bringing a message from your inner self. That your inner self should appear in such a paradoxical guise or employ such a despicable and unlikely ambassador is a reflection of your (very unwise) contempt for your inner self, as shown perhaps in the way you exclude it from your conscious life. (Remember the cricket in Pinocchio’s adventures?)... A Dictionary of Dream Symbols
For example, if you are dreaming about bees stinging you think, about some of your relationships.
If you are dreaming about ants consider you social interactions and work ethic.... The Bedside Dream Dictionary
If you manage to exterminate them, or if they are not bothersome to you, then you will meet your obstacles with strength and be able to overcome them. Insects also represent excessive worry over certain things.... Tryskelion Dream Interpretation
The person who actually lived in this pan of the house was the owner’s mother. She treated me badly but no one knew as she was artful in her abuse. She pulled me along by my hair, locked me in a cupboard, and once locked me in the orchard—four high walls and a hidden door’ (Rita).
The example shows memones of pain and anger are still irritating or ‘bugging’ Rita.
The swamp shows these feelings undermine her confidence.
Generally insects represent irritations or feeling something ‘bugging’ one; feeling insignificant—the ant in the mass of other ants, sexual urges, especially with cockroaches. As Jiminy Cricket suggests, insects can represent our conscience and guilt which remind us of feelings wc might sooner forget; perhaps insects represent these areas because they live their life in our house and garden largely unseen, so depict thoughts and feelings occurring on the edge of consciousness. Also one’s children; if flying off, children leaving home. Wasp, hornets: painful emotions; feeling stung by remarks. Lice, parasites: thoughts or sexual habits which are purely selfish or carry a health risk; feeling others are parasitical. Spider: often the dependent emotions and conflicts one feels ‘caught in’ connected with mother, any emotions you don’t want to ‘handle’, such as those surrounding a spouse leaving. ... A Guide to Dreams and Sleep Experiences
Psychologically, insects can represent feelings we would rather do without. This could be something niggling at our consciences, or guilt. Insects tend to signify negative feelings.
3- Psychically insects can appear in dreams as some kind of threat.
This is one reason why they are often used in psychological thrillers and science fiction. More positively, insects can appear in dreams as reminders of instinctive behaviour.... Ten Thousand Dream Dictionary
If a single creature, this may be a communication from your inner self. Bees were considered divine messengers by several ancient civilizations.
Revulsion: Sickness, decay, corruption, or filth. What the insects are flying around should provide more insight as to the source of these feelings.
If you are an insect with wings, possibly a type of flying dream.
Feeling as small and insignificant as an insect.
Petty annoyances. Usually manifested in the dream as buzzing or flying insects from which you cannot rid yourself.
(see Clothes, Fabric)
Working out a difficult situation by diligently applying a little pressure.
If the iron appears at a dry cleaners, this indicates that you’re hoping for someone else to straighten things out.
The advice here is not to pass the buck on a problem that is best handled yourself.
An unattended iron symbolizes a potential hazard resulting from misapplied energy, often of an emotionally heated nature. Take care right now that you’re paying attention to those who care about you, and their feelings.
If something’s amiss, iron it out!... The Language of Dreams
Depth Psychology: Seemingly insignificant events turn out to be more important than you thought. Guilt feelings or a bad conscience is bothering you. See Bee, Fly, Spider.
The insect represents instinctive actions and conduct. Whether your actions are beneficial or harmful can be determined bv look- ing at the rest of the dream images.... Dreamers Dictionary
If the Insects fly or crawl away from you, it is considered that a disappointment awaits the dreamer in his business affairs.... Mystic Dream Book
A mantis represents deviousness, particularly of a spiritual kind.
It is that trickster part of us that can create problems when things are effectively working out for us; it is that aspect of our personality which perhaps preys on the other parts and will not take its place within our overall integration. More positively, insects such as ants can appear in dreams as reminders of instinctive behaviour.... Dream Meanings of Versatile
To be aware of a predatory insect such as a mantis may indicate that we are conscious of trickery around us. Whatever threatens us does so on a very basic level, and we may have no defences, except those of our own nature.... Dream Meanings of Versatile
To dream of a swarm of flies indicates the deliberate intention of a large group of individuals. Where one insect may appear to be moving aimlessly, large numbers do not. Often we can only succeed in changing matters by group behaviour. As with most insects, the mantis often represents something devious within our lives.... Dream Meanings of Versatile
• However, insects left unchecked can grow quickly, in vast numbers and be harbingers of disease. Infestations in your dream indicate a course of action that is long overdue! • Ants indicate a need to work together as a team, bees are about being busy but also appreciating the sweetness of your life.... The Premier in Dream Dictionary
• • Negative words spoken against you.
• • Things that are an annoyance.
• • Things that bring fear.
• • A spirit of destruction (as in the ointment that was spoiled).
• • The presence of Satan himself, displayed as the Lord of the Flies.
It is important to remember that insects can mean different things to different people. Apply the principles in the Way of Dreams and Visions book for all internal dreams, and ask yourself this question: • What does this insect mean to ME (or to the person who had the dream)? • It is very seldom that insects would be positive. However you might dream that you are crushing insects. Or perhaps you are overcoming them in a dream, where you are the main character.
• This would be positive! It would mean that you are overcoming something negative in your life.
• A lady bug is an insect that pollinates fruit and is a good picture of something that is being used of God to assist you in bringing fruitfulness in your life.
• I shared an illustration in the Dreams and Visions book of a lady who had a fear of spiders. She had a dream where she was crushing them. Spiders represented fear in her dreams. By dreaming that she was crushing them, it spoke of how she was overcoming fear in her life! • So ask yourself, “How do I feel about this insect in real life? Does it bring fear? It is just an annoyance? It is a pet? Does it provide a benefit? (like a bee that provides honey).” • You decide and apply it then to your internal dream. Negative: Once again, what does the insect mean to you? If you dream of having insects swarming you, this is not likely a good dream! • It could speak of things annoying you that are overpowering you in real life. It might speak of fears that are assailing you, or problems that are getting too much.
• I grew up having some horrible experiences with cockroaches.
To this day they give me the creeps even more than spiders! Although they clearly speak of the work of the enemy in visions, in my case dreaming of a cockroach would likely speak of my inner fears or things that I would rather avoid.
• Do you see how important it is to identify the symbols in an internal dream?
There are some positive references to insects in Scripture.
For example locusts were something that the Israelites were allowed to eat.
(Leviticus 11:22) • There is another passage that speaks of how Samson was given honey from some bees that had made their home in the carcass of a lion.
(Judges 14:8) • Then again let us not forget the plague: • Exodus 10:14 And the locusts went up over all the land of Egypt, and rested in all the coasts of Egypt: very grievous [were they]; before them there were no such locusts as they, neither after them shall be such.
• So my conclusion is this: If your vision or prophetic dream has a positive connotation, then the insects would speak of something that provides sustenance.
• It speaks of spiritual food, or the Lord providing for your basic needs.
• However, the Lord also sent a plague of insects on Egypt to deliver His people. So in this case, seeing a plague of insects in a positive light could speak of the Lord sending judgment on the system of the world to bring blessing to His people.
Negative: In general insects are unclean in scripture and speak of the work of the enemy I often see insects in the spirit when praying for healing. When I see them I know that I am dealing with a spirit of infirmity.
• David spoke about a swarm of bees that stung like thorns.
• Then the enemy of the Israelites was referred to as a swarm of bees.
(Deut 1:44) • Flies • Flies specifically always have a negative connotation. They are often tied in with Satan himself, being known as the Beelzebub, Lord of the flies.
• On a personal note, in the spirit when I have seen Beelzebub, the Lord of the Flies, the vision has often represented things that relate to the New Age cult.
• When I have given personal ministry and seen this demon, after questioning the person it turns out they had some New Age involvement.
• I do not encourage you to get ‘hung up’ on demons, but if you do come across this in personal ministry, you know what it is and how to deal with it.
• Remember, the enemy CANNOT attack you, unless he has been given license through sin.
The book the Way of Blessing is a powerful resource to understanding this better.
• Leviticus 11:43 You will not make yourselves abominable with any creeping thing that creeps, neither will you make yourselves unclean with them, that you should be defiled by it.
• These are loathsome creatures that scurry in the dark and feed in dirt.
If you • see cockroaches in the spirit then you know that the enemy has gained license to your life. Because of their nature they are a good representation of small sins that have crept into your life.
• The good news is, that just as they are easy to squash in the natural, so can you easily take authority over any work of the enemy in the spirit.
See also: Ant, Beelzebub, Bees, Caterpillar, Fleas, Flies, Locusts.... The Way of Dreams and Visions
If you succeeded in killing them or otherwise getting rid of them, or if they didn’t annoy you, it signifies that your difficulties will be easier to overcome than you anticipate.
If the insects were identifiable, see also under separate headings, as Bees, Flies, etc.... The Complete Guide to Interpreting Your Dreams
In Ancient Egypt they worshiped the beetle, which symbolized creation. In dreams, this insect can represent the soul. In some stories, insects appear when the resolution of the plot seems impossible and their help is the only option (for example, asking them to separate grains of sand or some similar task). In oneiric terms, they symbolize precision and meticulous thought.... The Big Dictionary of Dreams
The silk made by any number of different insects connects to the amazing power of creativity and strength that actually has its origin in the shadow. Flying insects connect to the great mobility of our darker thoughts. Slimy ground dwellers point to the ever-present underbelly of our psyche.
If you have an insect show up in a dream, take a moment to look up some details about it. What you discover may trigger an important message that your unconscious is trying to give you.... Complete Dictionary of Dreams
According to Jungians, the general interpretation of insects in dreams closely follows the way they are perceived in real life: as irritating and potentially dangerous creatures that often attack in great numbers. Some insects do, however, have qualities we can admire and although still able to annoy us, they can set a helpful example when they appear in dreams. Use your common sense and some general impressions about the specific insect when interpreting your dream. For example, if you dream about bees stinging you, think about some of your relationships; if ants appear, then consider you social interactions and work ethic.
If you dream about wasps, are you in some kind of danger? Bear in mind, though, that dreams featuring insects are generally warning you of some poisonous or dangerous influence in your waking life.
Insects can also represent irritating, small problems in daily life with which you feel powerless to deal or feelings you would rather do without. These might be feelings of guilt or regret, or something that you cannot quite recognize tugging at your conscience. More often than not, insects represent negative feelings; they can symbolize how life requires you to form a brittle shell; they can also sometimes completely replace your own body, as in Franz Kafka’s novella Metamorphosis.
Arachnids—here comprising scorpions, spiders and ticks—often have a different symbolism; many people suffer from severe phobias for spiders in particular.
If you are fearful of spiders in the waking world, they will quite often simply represent something of which you are terrified in your subconscious.... The Element Encyclopedia
Dreaming of a desert or treasure island indicates there is something to be gained by being alone and exploring our ability to cope with such a situation. We may actually function better in some way.... Dream Meanings of Versatile
An island can also represent safety in that, by isolating ourselves, we are not subject to external pressures.... Dream Meanings of Versatile
If you see a swarm of insects around you, this suggests malicious rumors are being spread about you, but if you manage to kill the insects or escape, you will find an easy remedy for your problems.
If insects are taking something apart in your dream, this suggests you may be in the phase of ending something and you need to complete that process before starting something new.
If the insects have invaded your food or contaminated something in your dream, consider whether your lifestyle is a healthy one. A dream of killing or spraying insects may also recall childhood hostility towards a sibling that may persist into later life.
If the insects are flying off, this may represent children leaving home or the end of a particular problem that has been upsetting you.... The Element Encyclopedia